It’s been a while since I last published a new installment in my “42” series and there’s no better place on which to lavish praise than the South Pacific. While I know there are many more reasons to love, and love deeply, this remarkable part of the world, here are 42 reasons why I loved my time exploring the South Pacific. And yes, there is a reason for the number 42.
1. Discovering that yes, Bora Bora is well worth the hype.
2. Hiking through the prickly pineapple fields.
3. Learning the differences between the many islands of the region.
4. Arriving in style thanks to Air Tahiti Nui’s Poerava Business Class.
5. Sampling some of the delicious local cuisine.
6. Visiting the legendary inspiration for Bali Hai on Moorea
7. Taking a helicopter ride over the islands.
8. Realizing for the first time that you’re finally in paradise.
9. Exploring the ancient history of the islands on Huahine.
10. Experiencing some of the best islands on a Windstar Cruise.
11. Admiring more shades of blue than you ever thought existed.
12. Buying vanilla on the Vanilla Island – Taha’a.
13. Learning that Tahiti is an island and not a region.
14. Chances to brush up on your French.
15. Understanding that the Society Islands are much more than a vacation destination.
16. Snorkeling in crystal clear waters with sharks and rays.
17. Looking forward to the nightly sail-away celebration onboard a Windstar cruise.
18. Exploring the island of Tahiti itself instead of just passing through.
19. Appreciating being disconnected for the first time in years.
20. Boating down the only navigable river in the South Pacific on the island of Raiatea.
21. Taking a day trip around Tahiti to admire the sights and scenery of the island.
22. Watching a perfect sunset every night no matter where in the islands you are.
23. Being active and enjoying the many adventurous experiences in the islands.
24. Meeting local residents and learning more about their lives.
25. Learning to take life a little slower and less seriously.
26. That formal attire means a fancy tropical shirt.
27. Reconnecting with your significant other in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
28. Finding bliss at Le Meridien Bora Bora Resort
29. Exploring the capital city of Papeete on Tahiti.
30. Tasting the freshest fruits you’ve ever tried.
31. Enjoying the boutique hotel comforts onboard a luxury cruise.
32. Succumbing to the allure and finally buying a Tahitian pearl.
33. Visiting as many islands as you can.
34. Finally spending the night in one of those famous overwater bungalows.
35. Embracing the fact that your flippers and swim suit will never be dry.
36. Learning and using words like kia orana.
37. Exploring the many motus around the Society Islands
38. Learning more about yourself on a journey of self-discovery.
39. Realizing that no, there never is a bad day in the South Pacific.
40. Breakfast on the balcony of your private bungalow.
41. Finally learning how to decompress and relax.
42. Vowing to return and rediscover the bliss that only the islands can provide.