31 Weird Facts About Iceland That Will Amaze You

REYKJAVIK ICELAND

I’m not the only person who has a bad case of the Iceland bug. It seems that nearly everyone I talk to has either been or wants to desperately visit this small island in the North Atlantic. There’s just something mystical about Iceland, something that grabs a hold of our collective travel souls and refuses to let go. I’ve been a couple of times and am already plotting my return visits; the allure is just too strong. Add to that the fact it’s a short and easy flight from both North America and Europe, and it really is the perfect destination for a quick getaway. In trying to better understand what makes it so special though, I uncovered some strange and weird facts about Iceland that I thought I’d share with everyone. If nothing else, I guarantee it’ll only make you love this fun but slightly odd country that much more.

Reykjavik, Iceland

1. A majority of Icelanders believe in elves.
  2. At about 39,000 square miles, Iceland is small – close to the size of Ohio.
  3. There is a volcanic eruption every 4 years on average.
  4. There are no forests in Iceland.
  5. Beer remained illegal in Iceland until 1989.
  6. At 43.5 hours per week, they have the longest work week in Europe.
  7. The Icelandic language remains unchanged from ancient Norse. That means 1,000-year-old texts are still easily read.
  8. Babies in Iceland are routinely left outside to nap.
  9. There are no surnames or family names in Iceland – Icelanders use the traditional Nordic naming system, which includes a last name that is comprised from their father’s (or mother’s) first name with the addition of -dóttir (-daughter) or -son.
  10. 60% of the Icelandic population lives in Reykjavík.Stykkishólmur Iceland
  11. Iceland’s revenue from whale watching exceeds any income from whaling.
  12. Usually a temperate country, not too hot or cold, the highest temperature recorded was 30.5 °C (86.9 °F) at the Eastern fjords in 1939.
  13. Iceland had the first democratically elected female and openly gay Prime Ministers.
  14. Consumption of Coca–Cola per capita is higher than in any other country.
  15. But there aren’t any McDonald’s Restaurants anywhere in Iceland.
  16. In 2010 Iceland banned strip clubs.
  17. Roughly 85 percent of Iceland’s energy is from renewable resources, and well over half of that is geothermal alone.
  18. Icelandic horses display two additional gaits as compared to all other breeds.
  19. First names not previously used in Iceland must be approved by the Icelandic Naming Committee.
  20. Iceland was one of the last places on earth to be settled by humans.Blue Lagoon Iceland
  21. Icelanders watch more movies than any other nation.
  22. Iceland is home to one of the world’s oldest democracies; established in 930.
  23. In Iceland owning a pet snake, lizard or turtle is against the law.
  24. The country’s national sport is handball.
  25. Iceland does not have an army, navy or air force.
  26. Mosquitoes do not exist in Iceland.
  27. The Icelandic police don’t carry guns. Crime in Iceland is very low and violent crime is practically nonexistent.
  28. Per capita Iceland has the highest number of book and magazine publications and 10% of the country’s population will publish a book in their lifetimes.
  29. Icelandic telephone directories list Icelanders by first name alphabetically.
  30. In 2010, 97.6% of Icelandic population had Internet connection.
  31. Raw puffin heart is considered a delicacy.

Tags:

1. Jean | Holy Smithereens

I really enjoyed seeing and having no McDonalds in Iceland. The “unhealthiest” meal I had there was Subway!

• Hugh Akston

If Subway was the “unhealthiest” meal, you did not eat where I ate.

2. Paulo Azevedo

Even though they are not really Mosquitoes, at the Mývatn lake I found the biggest swarms of insects.

• Davíð Þór

They’re small flies called gnats. The name “Mý-vatn” actually translates as “Gnat-lake”.

• Dorian Moffat

Thought it was “midge-lake”.

3. Johann Thorsson

Oh yeah… raw puffin is delicious, as is raw whale with soy and wasabi (although I think Iceland should stop all whaling).

Keep forgetting what a gift from the gods not having mosquitos is.

Great post, always fun to read about how others see your country.

• Sergei O'Connor

AHHH I know you! Your the son of Thors….Thors-son In that case in Iceland I’d be Davidson I guess

4. Jenna

I’m one of those people who has the Iceland bug (because I want to visit so badly!). I love these random facts! A fun way to get to know a bit of the country.

5. Bjarki Einarsson

“violent crime is practically nonexistent.” Well that’s just not true

Violent crime includes murders, rapes and violent assault and in those categories yes, crime is practically nonexistent. There is however petty theft and other related crimes.

• Icelander

That’s just incorrect Matt. I’m sure Bjarki understood the definition of violent crime. There are plenty of violent assaults and rapes in Iceland, and refusing to accept it when being told so by an Icelander is pretty disrespectful. We all know several people who have been assaulted, sexually or otherwise.

6. Kim

These are some really fascinating facts about Iceland! Their naming system is pretty fascinating, especially the idea of having a Icelandic Naming Committee. It seems like they’ve maintained a fascinating culture and language over the decades!

7. Linds

How can you protect yourself on the trip around the entire island

• Aðalsteinn Lárus Skúlason

Well you are safer in Iceland than almost anywhere in the world, there are cases of violence everywhere but it is low in Iceland, don’t know what there deal is but violent crime rate is low but existing.

• Reynir Kristinn

It is not the locals you should fear as Iceland doesn’t have a lot of crime (compared to other countries) as icelanders would rather help you rather than hurt you unless you’ve gotten yourself into trouble. The thing you should fear most is the nature as the nature has claimed more lives than we the locals could even imagine doing ourselves

8. Donald Sugg

You are so correct in your assertion that Iceland is mysterious and fascinating to the non-Icelander, I once was on a plane that made an emergency landing there and was awed by the landscape – I have often thought of going there and your article has convinced me to do it sooner than later, thanks for a great piece.

9. Abulurd

When I finally found the perfect excuse to go to Iceland I slapped myself over the head because I didn’t go sooner.

I could live there. Not the easiest place to live but there’s a lot about Iceland to love.

Stay away because: tourists are complaining there are too many tourists (I am not making that up).

• Reynir Kristinn

Tourists are rather non existent in my town and the towns around my town, the only place I have noticed anything in particular about he mass of tourists is around Reykjavik

10. Fran

I have an Icelandic friend who says that the one about the tortoise is a lie, tho it’s perhaps not ideal to have a snake because it’s cold.

• Sigurður Ingi

This is not a lie. It is forbidden to have some sort of turtles. Because of salmonela. All animals have to be healthy if you take a horse and move it from iceland it may never return.

11. Elísa Jónsdóttir

These are really fun facts to read, altho some of them are incorrect. Like we do have forests, actually a lot of them and it’s more close to minoraty that believe in elves ? And the crime thing, well we do have violent crimes. But everything else is pretty on spot ! Oh and we also had the worlds first democratically elected female president.??

• Len

What you call forest we call small hedge.

• Keiko

Yes there is plenty of small hedge, but I went there and it does look like forests from a distance.

• Maureen

The Icelandic forests do exist being 1 meter high. The tall trees are usually importantly from Scandinavia, this information is from my Icelandic daughter in law and Icelandic freinds .

12. Róbert

There is alot there that is incorrect.
    The first “fact” for example is just not true. A very small minority believe in elves, they’re usually mentally unstable self proclaimed psychics that are very vocal about it.

13. Joy Gill DC MUCA RGN (ret)

I have been to Iceland twice now, and yes I can’t wait to go back. I found the people charming and hospitable, who knew how to perform customer service still, something wich I fear is lacking in much of the Western world now. I will be back soon.

14. Deb Hepplestone

Yes, there are indeed forests because I have been through them 🙂 The trees are shorter than in Europe for example, due to the short growing season, but forests they are never the less and they are beautiful and green and pristine. A beautiful place, with lovely people. I hope this is never spoiled by visiting tourists.

15. anna

Does Iceland has croods??

16. logan.sullivan

hello world i wish you would kill me with your greenness

17. logan.sullivan

and what’s up with the guy in rock

18. Sherry

My husband and I are visiting Iceland in November and are very excited. I am a little apprehensive about the food though as I am not a raw fish enthusiast. Any suggestions as to where to eat (besides Subway)?

There are tons of restaurants catering to all tastes, not to worry – have fun!

• Hannea

It’s Iceland, not Japan. We cook our food, or at least ferment it.

19. Bryan

Iceland is cool. The people are so warm and funny. I mainly spent time in Reykjavik but it was a very special place. It has a very creative energy and I will be back. I did not find it too expensive. Food is good and beer is great.

20. Giselle

No mosquito in Iceland, what a place!

• Aðalsteinn Lárus Skúlason

And I have never had bedbug like when I travel to Europe or the US.

21. Chris

I’ve been always wanting to go here. I’ve been interested and looking at hundreds of pics on web for a lot of years. Friends have turned me down and didn’t want to go. Gonna go by myself. Forget them. How is the currency exchange go as compared to the USA dollar? Is it very expensive? Hotels? All inclusive? As you can see I haven’t a clue. Lol. Please give me any helpful info. Thank you very much

• Reynir Kristinn

The currency exchange is around 1 usd going for 106 isk which you can round up to 1 usd for 100 isk. You can get cheaper solutions to hotels by not going for hotels near tourist attractions as those hotels are really expensive. If you do not buy things at any tourist attraction and rather go to the supermarket and buy your own food then way cheaper but who wants to go to a country to eat your own food? If you’re low on money but want to go see stuff I’d rather recommend renting a car than going on one of those golden circles however you do have to do everything yourself then rather than just going on a bus and just take pictures and why not picking them as they are professional at this and are very good at picking the cheapest place. My dad works for a company called “Allrahanda” in Icelandic but as it’s hard for tourists to say they picked the foreign name Iceland Excursion and he has described it for me what he goes through to get you the best place for the lowest price and it is a hassle as he has to wake up at 5 am to call all the places and confirm that he has booked as it has happened before that the paperwork got hidden somewhere and they get to the place and no reservation had been made so I do recommend rather paying the extra buck if you’re not good at it as much as the Icelandic population is open to tourists and nice to them, it’s still an economy and business men are in the economy and will try to get the most money for what he sells

22. Úlvur

nr 1. Almost noone in Iceland believes in elves. Lived here all my life. 37 years. Yet to meet one how does.
    nr 7. The Icelandic language has changes A LOT past 1000 years and its hard for most Icelander to understand ancient Norse, even though its much much closer to Icelandic than modern Norwegian.

23. Jörky

What languages besides Icelandic are spoken there? I guess, English, Swedish and Finnish are somewhat common, but I could be wrong too.

24. Rocky Murasing

When it comes to Wonder of Nature, Fairy Tales, Picturesque Places, People with Peace, and NoMosquitoes (Unlike my Home Land India), my stomach always gets full with Butterflies! The place Iceland you have just talked about resonates a lot with my dreamland. I am just wondering, how lucky are the people living over there.

• Myra Malik

true….. 🙂

25. Natalie

I wanna feel what a hot spring feels like!! It looks so relaxing!

26. Suse

Just (flight landed 1am today) returned from three days in Iceland (Reykjavik) and already booked to return. Can’t comment on most of the “facts” but can tell you what I learnt in my three days.
    People are lovely, customer service excellent, English is commonly, and well, spoken just about everywhere. Hugh choice of food types/styles, hardly any raw fish! Definitely no McDonalds (brilliant) they left in 2008/9 after financial crash. Prices seem high, don’t keep comparing to your own currency, just accept it for what it is and enjoy this beautiful country. Try their own Schnapps, our fantastic bartender at Centrum Hotel introduced them to us, lets us sample and even wrote down cocktail recipes for us for when we got home, so we bought in duty free on way home and we were sampling them again this morning for elevenses (no we are not hardened or regular drinkers)! This time of the year you very rarely see the sun, daylight is about 11am to 3:30pm ish, first morning we though we had slept right through the day as it was so dark! Do as many of the tours and trips as weather will allow, also lots of attractions easily within walking distance of most hotels, lots of small art exhibitions, cafes in odd places, an Icelandic Punk Museum in the old public toilets! A restaurant with a Laundromat (good food and service, amazing atmosphere, great play area for kids). I could go on, and we were only there three nights!

27. Mercy

Plz, is iceland comfortable to reside and get a job? i mean staying for a long period of tym?. really need answers.

• naren

well…lets go togethor

• Jon Jonsson

Very good place to live in. I would pick Akureyri, north iceland. Not hard to get a jab at hotels or supermarkets and something that way

• Reynir Kristinn

The Icelandic job market is rather open to foreigners however I can’t speak for all companies here but if you can speak a bit of Icelandic it’s definitely a plus point to you. I work at an aluminum forging company and a good portion are foreigners

28. DANISH MALIK

I WANT TO COME THERE .

29. Monica Bennett

I have been fascinated by Iceland since childhood, but I have been watching Icelandic movies and TV shows on Netflix and international streaming channels, and this has fueled my curiosity. I am also someone who studies linguists and the Icelandic language is one of my favorites to delve into. Bad luck has put me in a wheelchair so does anyone know what the available services for the disabled are in Iceland?

• Annette

Hi Monica, you will absolutely no problems being in a wheelchair apart from some cobbled paving in Reykjavik which may be a bit on the bumpy side lol!! Icelandic busses have access ramps, nearly all shops either have disabled access or staff who are more than willing to help if needed…..to be fair, this is a country where equality for all is better than in many, many other countries-go and have an amazing time!!

• Reynir Kristinn

In the capital almost every place is wheelchair accessible outside of it most places are in fact, I do not believe I have seen a place that isn’t wheelchair accessible in a while

30. Annette

For anyone really wanting to see Iceland, don’t just do Reykjavik-it is an easy and scenically amazing route to take the ring road north and then head to the Eastern Fjords with a hire car (4 X 4 is preferable). Yes, hiring a car will be probably more expensive than your flight…..but it will be the trip of a lifetime with u forgettable scenery and plenty of places to stop (without it being too touristy). As mostly everyone speaks English and there is only one road around the island when you get out of Reykjavik, you really can’t go wrong!

31. Alex Scott

Iceland is literally MLG!!!

32. donna

wow i was doing a research project your stuff is so cool thanks for riting this i prabrolly spelt a feiw words wrong cus im only 8 but i love reading your stuff so so so muck so i just wanted to say thanks bye (katie).

33. Tausif Khan

I’m so obsessed with Iceland! Always read about it. Would love to visit your country at least once in my lifetime!

34. Christy

We just spent a week in Iceland and although the scenery was fantastic we found it very EXPENSIVE! We live on the east coast of the US where a 12 pack of beer costs us $20. In Iceland it cost us $56 and 3 boxes of wine cost $200. It wasn’t just alcohol either… everything was pricey! We went to the grocery store and bought food rather than eating out! On our road trips through the Golden Circle we ate PB&J’s. The one dinner we ate in a restaurant cost me alone $40 for fish and chips and a drink! On average I say expect to pay 2 to 3 times more than our American prices!

35. nik

hey, i just want to ask people who live there, what are their needs? i mean what do they like buying, what do they want to buy but they cant because they dont have any there.(only legal staff please) ? also what are their everyday hobbies? because am thinking moving to Iceland and i would love to open a store or something there to live by.

36. Angela Borges

Hi, everyone!
    Watching 2 movies + 2 documentaries of Iceland, I was xtremely hooked and curious. So, last July 29 I was on WOW AIR on a flight SFO-Reykjavic. First time in life I was “solo”. My B-day is on Aug 2nd. Yes, I was there!
    I booked 5 days @ Hostel International Downtown. Location outstanding yet very quiet. On my 2nd day I learned about the top the line kitchen in the back yard where one can cook/eat 24/7. There’s a neighborhood small market and a larger supermarket-Bonus, where you can shop. And also when guests leave, there’s lots of “free food”, etc. So, I spent basic NOTHING. It’s the expensive country I had visited. Super! But very safe. I was sleeping by day and strolling by night, midnight, on my own. What a good feeling!!! Now, Summer, there’s no darkness.
    I turned 66 in Iceland!!! Be fit, cause everything is done by foot. I love so much and can’t take Iceland off my mind…Takk fidir!!!

37. Angela Borges

Contact the tourism information/Iceland, via e-mail and ask for VISA requirements for citizens of Pakistan. It’s worth a visit. Do next summer. Good Luchy!!!Enjoy!

38. Angela Borges

I meant, LUCK!!!

39. Kóngur

I went to Iceland and I saw a guy called Hrafnkell and he is a total king

40. Marlene porter

Went there last year, it is absolutely beautiful and would love to return. We took the ring road of course and travelled the whole island. Lots of things to eat,it is a little pricy. Did not see any Forrest to speak of, enjoyed all the sights.
    If you want to swim at the blue lagoon you have to get reservations early. They were booked when we were there.
    The horses (and dogs) are beautiful and lay down in groups. There are a lot of really different things going on there. I am afraid that in a few years it will be spoiled by a lot of tourist, there was allot of building going on in certain areas, go. As soon as you can, you won’t regret it.
    I am currently watching Trapped on Amazon it takes place there and that will give you an idea of how it looks.

41. Angela Borges

Hello Marlene! How works driving the whole Iceland? How long takes, how many km/miles? Is it expensive. Oil was almost $5.00/US a gallon..car rental? I would love to do the same..

42. Angela Borges

About prices in Iceland:
    Jus came back from Vancouver.BC
    Prices are not better than Iceland at all. And is very much close to the USA. TRAVEL is an expensive hobbie.

43. Reynir Kristinn

I do have to say, my town (Eskifjörður) broke the heat record back in 2012 where the heat when I entered my mums car was at 34°C, the lowest however was -38°C and was found in Grímsstaðir

44. Angela Borges

Does anyone can give me a hint of Helsink, my next stop?

45. Lisa

I was stationed there in Keflavik in 1998-2000. I think the base has been closed down for years though. I wish I would of explored so much more when I was there. They did have McDonald’s when I was stationed there but was very expensive. There was also a awesome-very little eatery in Keflavik. I would know the name of it it I heard it. First time I got out of taxi and the man said “go and die” (well that’s what I thought he said) lol. Come to find out he said “Eigðu góðan dag” which meant have a good day. Lol. Great place extremely nice and helpful people.

• ROSIE

cool

46. ROSIE

THANKS
    THIS HELPED ME A LOT WITH MY HOMEWORK!!!!

47. Dennis F. Szymanski

I had the pleasure of being stationed at Keflavik with the Iceland Air Defense Forces in 59-60 and found the country and the people both fantastic. I look forward to a visit again next summer.

48. Marc Hautcoeur

Your blog is just amazing ! Seriously, I’m a french Canadien and you are an inspiration for me and the blog I do.
    Thank you !

49. Peter

I Love to visit Iceland. I have heard lots about the country. I want to make new friends in Iceland.