Today I am thrilled to share a special guest post by Auston Matta, one-half of the duo behind the travel blog Two Bad Tourists. Two Bad Tourists was started by David and Auston, a married couple based in Madrid. When they’re not traveling or writing guides about events or the best gay destinations, they enjoy the long sunny days and nightlife of Madrid. Follow their adventure as they travel the world together.
Madrid is among the most gay-friendly destinations in Europe and you’ll find a wide array of activities and nightlife throughout the city. There are many reasons to consider a visit to the Spanish capital, but here are 10 Reasons to visit Madrid as a gay-friendly destination.
1. Spain was the 3rd country in the world to legalize gay marriage and recent polls have shown that 88% of the population accepts the gay community. Like any country, there’s always people who may be unfriendly, but you’re unlikely to encounter them, especially in Madrid.
2. Madrid has the largest gay community in Spain and one of the largest in Europe, with an estimated 500,000 LGBT people living in the city. You’ll find the highest concentration of LGBT people in the city center and it’s common to see same-sex couples being affectionate all over the city.
3. Chueca is the thriving gay neighborhood in Madrid with numerous gay-friendly businesses all in close walking distance. You can find the best gay bars and clubs in Chueca, along with countless gay shops and restaurants. Chueca is located in the city center so you can walk to most of the historic sites within 15-20 minutes.
4. Every July Madrid hosts the largest gay pride in Europe. Madrid’s gay pride, called Madrid Orgullo, draws a crowd of nearly 2 million people. The city puts on free concerts and performances throughout the week and party goers celebrate on the street into the night.
5. Madrid actually has more bars than any city in the world. And this trend stays true for gay bars and clubs. In Chueca and the city center of Madrid, you’ll find some of the best gay bars and nightclubs in Spain and all of Europe.
6. Gay-friendly hotels and accommodation are easy to find in Madrid and they concentrated mostly in Chueca. You might even consider some of these properties to be “straight-friendly” since the majority of the guests booking a room are gay.
7. The weather in Madrid is one of the greatest draws for tourists. Madrid has 300+ sunny days each year and the weather is extremely pleasant from April through October. Though July and August can be hot, the nights cool down and you’ll find locals enjoying the outdoors starting early in the evening.
8. The guys in Madrid are extremely attractive. When you walk the streets or go out to the gay bars, you’ll notice that many guys are good looking and most are in great shape. Most locals belong to a gym and their efforts pay off.
9. From early spring until early winter, you’ll find people eating outdoors on nearly every street and plaza in the city. Spanish people love to be outside and eating and drinking together is a huge part of their culture. You can find a large variety of gay-friendly and gay-owned restaurants in Chueca. So find your favorite terraza, order sangria and tapas, and enjoy the beautiful weather.
10. Madrid hosts gay parties every month, regardless of the time of year. And if the regular gay clubs in Madrid are not enough, the WE Party puts on an event once a month at La Riveria. These parties attract huge crowds and go until 6am in the morning. You’ll also find monthly parties on Sunday evenings called “Que Trabaje Rita,” where locals go out even on Sunday, though most still work early on Monday morning.Add to Flipboard Magazine.