Every year during the month of November, millions of guys around the world suddenly start to grow facial hair. This isn’t hipster mass hysteria, it’s all for charity. Movember is the global men’s health charity that encourages men to grow moustaches (Mo) to raise awareness and funds for men’s health; specifically prostrate and testicular cancer as well as mental health issues. Both cancer and mental health issues have affected my family so it is with a lot of enthusiasm that I am supporting Movember this year.
To be honest, since I now sport a beard it’s not that much of a challenge, which is why I’m glad that a friend of mine, travel blogger Raymond Walsh of Man on the Lam is part of an exciting project to promote this worthy cause. He has partnered with a company to spend the month completing Manly Bucket List activities, everything from flying in a fighter plane to making fire. He’s encouraged other bloggers to follow suit and I’ve decided to do just that.
I’ve given it a lot of thought and I’ve come up with a list of 5 experiences for my own Manly Bucket List. My goal in doing this is to raise awareness for Movember and to support men’s health. This isn’t just for guys though, women around the world support this effort as well by donating their time and money or just supporting the moustachioed guys they know.
So, my five Manly Bucket List experiences are:
1. Deep sea fishing – I’ve never been that interested in fishing, it seems boring to be honest. But I’ve also never tried it in the open ocean, there amongst the giants of the sea. Just as luck would have it, I’ll be in the Caribbean soon so this is the perfect time to learn the manly talent of deep sea fishing. Note: I doubt I’ll catch anything, but if I do I promise to throw it back.
2. Learn how to do something with my car – My automotive expertise is currently limited to 1) driving and 2) filling up the car with gas. For anything else I am useless and it’s time to change that. I’m not sure what I will learn how to do, change a tire or maybe the oil, but I promise I’ll learn how to do something and in the process become a more manly driver.
3. Jeep off-roading – I’ve been in many Jeeps, but have never been on a proper, off-roading experience. There’s nothing as manly as driving through giant mud puddles, over rocks and fallen logs, becoming one with the machine for no apparent reason except why not.
4. Fly a jetpack – Once again, my travels around the Caribbean will help me in achieving my Manly Bucket List goals, including flying a water jetpack. I have no idea what’s entailed but the word jetpack is involved so it must be awesome, right?
5. Surprise! – I want to leave one of these challenges open for opportunities to prove my manliness as they arise. I don’t know what it will be, but I promise it will be worthy of the Movember challenge.
There you have it, my Manly Bucket List. Now it’s time for you to help out.
What You Can Do:
- Go to Movember.com to find out more about men’s health issues, support a Mo Bro or Mo Sistah, or to register to become one yourself.
- Check out the schedule for the Made Man Movember Mo’asis Bus Tour
- And, if you’ve got some spare cash lying around, DONATE!
In addition, every time you send a Tweet, a Vine, an Instagram, or post to Facebook with your own manly photo or text using the hashtag #ManlyMoments, the folks at Made Man will donate $1 to Movember.
So please be sure to support me as I complete my own Manly Bucket List and I encourage you all to find ways locally to take part in this important charity drive.