1. Ziploc bags are great for packing
2. Embrace the corny! Places are usually popular for a reason.
3. Talk to as many locals as possible.
4. Learn how to haggle with respect.
5. Go on a cruise, whether small or large ship there’s bound to be one out there for you.
6. Consult Airfarewatchdog.com for the best airfare deals out there.
7. Smart phones are great, but learn about international billing before leaving home.
8. Don’t drink too much while flying, you’ll feel much worse than on land.
9. For great photos learn everything you can about whatever camera you have.
10. Book hotels that include complimentary breakfast.
11. Invest in travel insurance, it’s a smart precaution to protect your travel investment.
12. No matter how bad things get at times, always try to keep a positive attitude.
13. Use ATMs overseas for the best exchange rates.
14. Simple budget cuts at home can amount to enough money for an amazing trip.
15. If offered Nutella, the answer is always yes.
16. Talk a great walking tour, they’re well worth the expense.
17. Buy a travel power strip and use it to easily charge all your devices.
18. If a hotel has a club level, buy up into it. The perks are usually well worth the fees.
19. Bring a portable battery for your phone, you’ll need it during a long day of sightseeing.
20. Use public transportation, it’s cheaper, more fun and you learn more about the destination.
21. Be humble and don’t turn into a stereotype. No matter where you go, you’re a guest and you should act like it.
22. Spend a little more for amazing experiences; it may be your one chance to do them!
23. Don’t over pack; try to use carryon only if you can.
24. Stay curious; it’s the best arrow in your travel quiver.
25. Get lost at least once on every trip.
26. Ask locals for the best places to eat.
27. Visit grocery stores overseas, cheaper snacks and a great lesson in the culture.
28. I love hotels, but short term apartment rentals are fun too for a more ‘local’ experience.
29. Learn a few phrases in a foreign language, it’ll help you more than you know.
30. Always pack a bathing suit, you just never know.
31. Never eat anywhere with a ‘tourist’ menu.
32. Take time to learn how to drive stick shift. Some places in the world it will be your only option.
33. Don’t overdo the food when you travel, healthy choices will keep you going longer.
34. Disconnect if you can and learn to enjoy the experience firsthand and not through a phone or camera lens.
35. Plan ahead, but don’t go crazy. Spontaneous travel moments are usually the best.
36. Don’t put off traveling with kids; they’re more adept than you think and traveling is great for them.
37. Travel more, even if it’s a couple of hours away.
38. Stay loyal to one airline and hotel brand if you can in order to maximize miles accrual
39. To beat jetlag align yourself to the new time zone right away, even if it means staying up all day.
40. Make copies of your passport and either email them to yourself or store in Dropbox in case the worst happens.
41. Never bring more than two pairs of shoes. Instead pack multi-use footwear.
42. Don’t only listen to travel ‘experts’ – always follow your gut and your heart.Add to Flipboard Magazine.