42 Things I Love About Cape Town

1. Being surrounded by natural beauty at every turn

2. Koeksisters and coffee

3. Visit to Robben Island, where Mandela was once imprisoned

4. Playing with kids during a biking tour of Masiphumelele Township

5. Jamming along at late night jazz clubs

6. Eating a delicious South African fusion dinner at Reubens Restaurant

7. South African slang like “Lekker” and “Hectic”

Cape Town Sunset

16. Table Mountain, all the time and any view

17. Making sure baboons don’t steal your picnic

18. Spending an afternoon strolling around the V&A Waterfront

19. Strolling around the fish monger stands in Hout Bay

20. Amazing views at the Cape of Good Hope

21. Sunset watching or full moon viewing from Lion’s Head

22. The fact that despite what locals say, winter weather can be pretty darn nice

23. Drive out to nearby wineries for stellar landscapes and hearty wines

24. Being made to feel welcome almost immediately

25. Delicious Cape Malay food, all of it

26. Slowly exploring the beauty of Chapmans Peak Drive

27. Breaking for ostriches at nearby Cape Point isn’t a big deal

28. Either hike or take the cable car up Table Mountain for amazing views of the city.

29. Getting there on South African Airways, great airline for a long flight

30. Diving with Great White sharks

31. Retracing the history of the Dutch East India Company on the Sex and Slaves walking tour

32. Neighborhood stroll around colorful Bo Kaap. Don’t forget to stop by the spice shop.

33. Giant Red Lego Man. Enough said.

34. Dancing the night away on Long Street

35. Standing on the edge of the world at 34’21’24”S/18’29’51”E

36. Discovering new and unusual flowers at the fragrant market in Trafalgar Place

37. Browsing through the huge and incredibly diverse market in front of city hall

38. Getting close to the penguins at Boulders Beach

39. Walking through the up-and-coming Fringe District

40. Drinking South African wine with a view of the sun setting over the ocean. Do this every day.

41. More Cape Malay food, please

42. Eating a scrumptious dessert from Charly’s Bakery

What are some things you love about Cape Town?

Tags: , , ,

1. Skye

Fantastic post and synopsis of how Cape Town got under your skin. Can’t wait for you to get back..

Thanks Skye and yup, it definitely is part of me now.

2. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures

Everything you said X 100! I looooooove Cape Town. Awesome pics!!!

3. Claire Gillis

Also hanging out in Observatory and buzzing about in the minibuses!

4. Lucila

Tks for the tips in Cape Town. Im planing to go there in december. I’m in Mozambique now, If someone want tips from there, u can watch my blog. Saludos!!

5. Deborah Thompson

Really enjoyed this post! Thanks for sharing and for the smiles!

6. Bethany ~ twoOregonians

Compared to Oregon winters, I thought Cape Town had it made! Love, love, love the city – rain or shine : )

7. Melanie Grant

Every day I look out my window and marvel at the unique beauty of this place. We live in Kalk Bay and see the ocean filled with fishing boats, whales, dolphins and surfers at any given time. This cosmopolitan, colourful city is easy to love and difficult to forget!

8. Lynn Turner

Haven’t been there yet but hope to visit some day! Wonderful pictures very interesting looking place!

9. joy

it looks gorgeous! i have always wanted to go there but i wonder how it would be for a black female. did you witness any racism or tension while there? i’m sure your experience was great as a white man but i am curious how it would be for me…

10. Alice

I totally agree! I love it also! One of the most beautiful, amazing, enchanting places on earth! I have to ask…Did you Bungy Jump from Bloukrans River Bridge? If not, I “HIGHLY” recommend it! :))) Check out : http://www.faceadrenalin.com

11. Krista

Great list and very inspiring for my own planning. I’m going in about a month and cannot wait!F2

12. Barbara

Thank you for the tips. I can’t wailt. I’ll be in South Africa in a few weeks and am anxious to see what I get in to. I’ll have to let you know.

13. Francoise Armour

How did I miss this blog entry when it was first written?????

I love how YOU loved your time in Cape Town. We love living here and showing it off – feedback like this is fabulous and we can’t get enough of it!

you are definitely very lucky, it’s a beautiful city

14. Frank

Hey Matt! Been following your site for a while but got on this post by following a link on the facebook page of South African tourism. Great post, Cape Town on our short list of places to go.
    Frank (bbqboy)