I was going to do a slightly saccharine, flowing and probably over the top post about my thoughts on Paris. (which, if you haven’t guessed are pretty positive) I couldn’t imagine that such a post would be all that interesting, so instead I want to just tell you all in plain language what makes Paris so great. Here are the 42 things I love most about Paris. What are some things you love about the City of Lights?
1.The lively Marais neighborhood
2. Massive Nutella crepes
3. The massive clock window at the Musee D’Orsay
4. Artists lining Montmartre
5. Savory steak with frites
6. Soft din of accordions
7. Accordion players
8. Artwork of le Metro
9. That dogs can and do go everywhere with their owners
10. Shopping at the Galleries Lafayette
11.Picnic lunch in the Jardin du Luxembourg
12. Staring transfixed at Foucault’s pendulum
13.Browsing through the books at Gibert Jeune
14. Pain au chocolat for breakfast
15. Edith Piaf. Enough said.
16. Watching someone’s face light up when they first see the city
17. Blinding white walls of Sacre Coeur
18. The sometimes forgotten banlieues
19. Notre Dame at first light
20. People watching on the Champ de Mars
21. Eiffel Tower view from the Trocadéro
22. Enjoying the summertime Seine beach
23. Saucisson on a baguette
24. Quiet night at a jazz club
25. Making a baguette run (going for bread, not exercising a roll)
26. Window shopping on the Champs Elysees
27. The Grands Travaux of Mitterrand
28. Multi-colored and sweet macaroons
29. Great architecture is found everywhere
30. Heading out of town for a day of hiking in Fontainebleau
31. Endless array of cheeses
32. Wandering around the Place d’Italie
33. Watching the world walk by from a bistro table
34. Biking around town, dodging cars and discovering a different side to the city
35. Scarves, everyone always wears scarves
36. Sightseeing from the water on the bateaux mouches
37. Playing petanque in a quiet park
38. Getting lost
39. Discovering the old tapestry factory at Les Gobelins
40. The feeling! That je ne sais quoi
41. The charm and friendliness of Parisians
42. A mid-afternoon snack of a Chausson aux Pommes
12 thoughts on “42 Things I Love About Paris”
We have overlapping likes. I would add: florists everywhere, the smell of fresh bread baking, open air markets, the ease of public transportation, poulet roti, tiny jewel museums like the Marmottan, wrought iron and limestone, the sense of history everywhere.
Ok. THAT’S IT! You had me at #2. Paris is now bumped up on my travel itinerary. Thanks a lot, Matt!
The feeling! That je ne sais quoi . . . enough said!
ALL so true!
Great post! I have one about 33 Thing I love about Spain:), too.
love this & love #38–so true in so many places, but definitely paris! you make us want to be there riiiight now.
(ook, we always want to be in paris…).
How funny, the very first one was the Marais neighborhood. We been to Paris only once but we are going back in April for four nights and booked a small studio apartment in the Marais neighborhood, not knowing exactly where it was but hoping it was a fun area.
Oh how wonderful! It’s not just a good area, it’s probably my favorite. Great, great location, you’ll really enjoy yourself.
Wonderful post as usual! One can never go to Paris too many times, there’s always something new and hidden to discover… You make me want to book a flight right now!! :) (ps- it’s macaron with one o)
I agree, I love Paris
Just started writing about my own trip to Paris
so I’m enjoying working through your Paris section of the site!
Agree with number 38 especially, I got lost multiple times, it must be one of the best ways to discover a city :)
Comments are closed.