My hometown of Washington is famous for its memorials and monuments. However, there are dozens of outdoor statues and memorials scattered throughout the city which few non-residents know about. Following are five of my favorite secret statues of Washington, DC.
1. The Awakening – This remarkable artwork had been located for years at Hains Point, but was recently moved to the newly built National Harbor. Regardless of its location, it remains a fascinating piece of sculpture. The Awakening is a 100-foot statue of a giant embedded in the earth, struggling to free himself and consists of five separate aluminum pieces buried in the ground, giving the impression of a panicked giant trying to pull himself to the surface. To see The Awakening head to National Harbor, right across the river in Maryland.
2. Titanic Memorial – This is my favorite hidden statue and very few people know about it. The memorial is dedicated specifically to the men of the Titanic who gave their lives to save women and children and was erected in 1931 by the Women’s Titanic Memorial. Association. I love this statue because it overlooks the water on the SW DC waterfront and since no one knows about it, is a very quiet and solemn place, as it should be. So head down to the waterfront for some fresh crab cakes and walk to the memorial on your way back for your own special Washington moment. The memorial is located on P Street SW next to the Washington Channel .
3. Kryptos – This statue is about a secret, rather than being one. Regardless, it’s pretty cool. Located on the grounds of the CIA in Langley, Kryptos has been a source of consternation and intrigue since its dedication in 1990 . There are four main sections of the sculpture, each containing separate encrypted messages, of which one is still a mystery. UNFORTUNATELY, you really can’t visit the statue, as it is on CIA grounds. The CIA directs people instead to the virtual tour located here.
4. Man Controlling Trade – This statue is not hidden if you drive into work everyday, but may escape the notice of the casual observer. The pair of statues are located at the Federal Trade Commission headquarters at Pennsylvania Avenue and 6th Streets NW. In 1938, Michael Lantz won a national competition, which was the largest American sculpture competition at the time. Each sculpture shows a heroic figure straining to control a powerful horse and are truly awe-inspiring as you stand in front of them.
5. Boy Scout Memorial – Located in President’s Park near the White House and the Ellipse, this is one of the few statues in Washington commemorating a living cause. It sits on the site of the first Boy Scout Jamboree in 1937 and was unveiled in 1967. The statue is comprised of three figures, Manhood, Womanhood and the Boy Scout who is leading them into the future. The Boy Scout Memorial is notable for its superb location, which is a treat to wander around on a warm, spring day.
To see these statues and others on your own, follow this tour that I put together:
9 thoughts on “Five Secret Statues of Washington, D.C.”
That is really cool information since I will be down in the area next weekend! Are there any nice restaurants you can tell us about in the DC/Gaithersburg area?
You picked a great time of year to visit! It’s gorgeous right now. DC is home to a lot of great restaurants. One of my affordable favorites is Moby Dick’s House of Kebab, which has locations both in the Dupont area of Washington as well as Gaithersburg. They specialize in Iranian food and the rice is best I have had anywhere. http://www.mobysonline.com/
Other great places around town include The Dubliner, near Union Station; Art & Soul, also close to Union Station; Zola in the Spy Museum and Tony Cheng Restaurant in Chinatown.
Regardless of where you eat, it’s hard to go wrong here. Enjoy!
Thanks for the restaurant ideas! We go to DC a couple times a year and always hit up Phillips, but it is nice to know other great places to eat. This looks like it is going to be a very informative blog.
I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i am glad to express that I have a very just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I most certainly will make sure to do not forget this website and provides it a look on a continuing basis.
Appreciating the commitment you put into your website and in depth information you provide. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.
As against the popular belief, you can make make money writing articles sure that the articles you write, the easier it gets. Use Simplified FormatsSelecting a more simplified format such as using bullet points or numbers make sure article more enjoyable to read. You can find many by doing a search on Google and see if the term Find Divorce Attorneys may be a video, an image or even textual information.
Hello, its fastidious paragraph concerning media print, we all understand media is a great source of data.
If the phone you purchase has a wide range transmission it might even save you on your cell phone usage. It can be connected to the base, conference cell phone, or the domestic landline or even you can receive calls from two interconnected Bluetooth cell phones. As with modern mobile phones, there are a range of options available when selecting a big button mobile phone.
Does your site have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.
Comments are closed.