To help me celebrate the launch of the new design for LandLopers (read here for more on that) the kind folks over at Viking River Cruises have generously agreed to give one of my readers a Christmas Market Cruise for two!
My partner and I first started going to the Christmas markets in Europe three years ago, more on a lark than anything else. That December trip quickly became a tradition for us though. Europe during the Christmas holidays is completely different than any other time of the year. There’s something wonderful about bundling up to go hear a free concert, grab some snacks at the local Christmas market and admiring all of the decorations. It doesn’t matter if you’re in Brussels or Florence, almost every city and village does something to celebrate the season. And I want you to have the chance to experience this very special time of the year for yourself.
Viking River Cruises will give one lucky winner a 2014 Christmas Market river cruise aboard Viking’s popular Danube Waltz itinerary, sailing between Passau and Budapest.
This 8-day itinerary takes you through four of Europe’s most enchanting countries, Austria, Germany, Hungary and Slovakia, along the storied Danube River. Explore Budapest’s imperial and Art Nouveau delights, and take a comprehensive tour of beautiful Bratislava’s baroque and Gothic buildings and fountains. In Austria, discover why Vienna is “the waltz capital,” sail through the spectacular Wachau Valley, and explore the cobblestone streets and charming town squares of Dürnstein. And in Germany, admire Passau’s ancient fortress and Italianate architecture. Includes a tour of the 900-year-old baroque Benedictine abbey at Melk and a full-day excursion to the scenic city of Salzburg.
The Magic of European Christmas: Sailing dates between November 29 and December 20 will include Christmas markets. Here, the spirit and romance of the holidays come alive with the scent of gingerbread and the tunes of traditional carols around every corner. Whichever Christmas markets you visit, you’ll enjoy a wonderful feast of tasty treats, as well as dozens of stalls brimming with unique and inspiring handcrafted gifts.
The Viking Cruises trip for two includes:
8-day cruise with outside river-view stateroom aboard one of our state-of-the-art Viking Longships — Viking Alsvin, Viking Baldur, or Viking Lif
6 guided tours with audio headset
All onboard meals: 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners
Culture Curriculum SM: Enjoy musical entertainment highlighting Austrian and Hungarian classics; attend lectures on Mozart and Viennese coffeehouses; learn some basics of German language; find out how Austrians make their apple strudel.
Please note that the prize does not include airfare.
How to Enter
Entering is easy. Use the form below to sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for additional entries. If you are already a subscriber/follower, just check the appropriate boxes. You can also use the form to follow Viking River Cruises on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for three more entries—and for one last entry, you can agree to send out a preset tweet noting that you’ve entered to win. Full prize terms and conditions are below so read carefully before entering.
Thank you and good luck!
2. The contest is open to all individuals eighteen (18) years or older (19 or older if a resident of Alabama, Nebraska) in the U.S. and Canada. Employees, officers, directors, representatives and immediate family and household members of Viking Cruises, their affiliated companies, and advertising and promotion agencies are not eligible to participate in the contest. All participants must be residents of the United States or Canada.
3. The contest will run until 11:59 p.m. PST on March 10, 2014. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries divided by the number of prizes available to be won. To participate, use the provided form and follow the directions. Only one (1) entry form per household/IP address.
4. A total of one (1) winner will be selected by Viking Cruises. The winner will be selected from all eligible entries collected through the online form. Winner will be contacted via the email address provided and then published on www.landlopers.com and www.facebook.com/landlopers. Winner will be drawn at random. If Viking Cruises is unable to contact a potential winner or a potential winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules, prize will be forfeited and, at Viking Cruises’ discretion, an alternate winner will be selected. If a potential winner is at least 18 but still considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, prize may be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian who will be responsible for fulfilling all requirements imposed on winner set forth herein. If selected entrant is a Canadian resident, he/she must answer a part of the Declaration of Compliance, a skill-testing question, correctly prior to receiving prize.
5. Prize: One (1) 2014 cruise for two (2) will be awarded as follows: When the contest ends on March 10, 2014 one (1) 2014 Danube Waltz Christmas market cruise for two (2) with category Veranda B accommodations on either Viking Alsvin, Viking Baldur or Viking Lif will be provided on space-available basis only (up to a $8,202 value, per couple) during the Christmas market cruise departures taking place between November 30 – December 24, 2014.
6. Prize(s) are not transferable. No cash substitutions. Viking Cruises may, at their sole discretion, substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
7. Prize winners will be responsible for any and all applicable federal, state and local taxes on the prize. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
8. By participating in the contest, each entrant agrees to abide and be bound by all of the official contest rules and the decisions of Viking Cruises. All decisions regarding the contest including, but not limited to, selecting the winners shall be made by Viking Cruises whose decisions shall be final, including but not limited to if the entrant fails to abide by these rules, or otherwise acts (a) in a non-professional or inappropriate manner, (b) it is perceived that contestant has an intent to harass, abuse, threaten or annoy any other entrant, Viking Cruises, their affiliated companies or their advertising and promotions agencies, or (c) in any other disruptive manner.
9. By participating, each entrant further agrees: (a) to release, discharge and hold harmless Viking Cruises and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives of the forgoing (collectively, “Released Parties”) from any and all injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or any Sweepstakes-related activity or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any awarded prize (including any travel/activity related thereto); and (b) to the use of his/her name, voice, performance, photograph, caption, entry, and/or likeness for programming, advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter known, worldwide and on the Internet, and in perpetuity by Viking Cruises and its designees, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) or additional consents.
10. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, illegible, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, or garbled entries, or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, lost, stolen or misdirected referrals, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of registrations, the announcement of the prizes, or in any Sweepstakes-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading materials from or use of the website. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Sweepstakes or website, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Viking Cruises, will be disqualified and all associated entries will be void. Should any portion of the Sweepstakes be, in Viking Cruises’ sole opinion, compromised for any reason, including virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Viking Cruises, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, or submission of entries, Viking Cruises reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes (or portion thereof) and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential winner(s) at issue from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken in a random drawing from among all eligible entries received. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, VIKING CRUISES RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
11. Viking Cruises makes no warranties, and hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning any Prize furnished in connection with the Sweepstakes. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SUCH PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND VIKING CRUISES HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
12. In the event an insufficient number of eligible entries are received and/or Viking Cruises is prevented from awarding prizes or continuing with the Sweepstakes as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic of health of other means, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Viking Cruises’ control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence), then Viking Cruises’ shall have the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Sweepstakes. If the Sweepstakes is terminated before the designated end date, Viking Cruises will (if possible) select the winner in a random drawing from all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. Inclusion in such drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. Only the type and quantity of prizes described in these Official Rules will be awarded. If, for any reason, more bona fide winners come forward seeking to claim prizes in excess of the number of each type of prize set forth in these Official Rules, the winners, or remaining winners, as the case may be, of the advertised number of prizes available in the prize category in question may be selected in a random drawing from among all persons making purportedly valid claims for such prize(s). The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
13. Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the state of California; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) unless otherwise prohibited, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Viking Cruises in connection with the Sweepstakes shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the state of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the state of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state of California. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant entering via the method set forth, the name that appears on the Sweepstakes registration form will be deemed to be the entrant.
14. Any questions, comments or concerns regarding the sweepstakes should be directed to LandLopers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe and get my free ebook!
Subscribe to the LandLopers newsletter and get a free copy of my new book, "My Favorite 50 Travel Photos."
By: Matt Long
Matt has a true passion for travel. As someone who has a bad case of the travel bug, Matt travels the world in order to share tips on where to go, what to see and how to experience the best the world has to offer.
Also follow Matt on Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus.