Visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Sites

Treasury at Petra

So I’ve been motivated by a couple of other bloggers who have successfully chronicled their adventures visiting the designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites around the world and I have decided to do the same.

In 1972 the UN, through the UNESCO World Heritage Committee, began recognizing important sites around the world that they consider vital in order to maintain the cultural and natural heritage we have all inherited. Even though I haven’t even scratched the surface of visiting the nearly 1,000 sites in every corner of the planet, I have been to quite a few and want to add these important areas to my future travel plans.

What follows is a list of the sites I have visited to date with links to my site and the UNESCO site. This is also a living document though and I will update it as I visit new areas.

Are UNESCO World Heritage Sites important to you? Which one is your favorite?

Total Number of Sites Visited: 90

Greece

Holy See

Iceland

Israel

Italy

Japan

Jerusalem (Site proposed by Jordan)

Jordan

Lao People’s Democratic Republic

Mexico

Morocco

Netherlands

Palestine

• Palestine: Land of Olives and Vines – Cultural Landscape of Southern Jerusalem, Battir

Saint Kitts and Nevis

South Africa

Spain

Switzerland

Turkey

United Kingdom

USA

Zambia

Zimbabwe

*Denotes multi-country sites

Tags:

1. Dean

I think my list would be pretty pathetic. You’ve made a great start!

2. Amanda

Way to go, Matt! I’ve thought of starting my own list like this, but I think I need to wait until I see more of Europe this summer. I think I’m only at about 30 UNESCO sites so far!

3. RaW | Ramble and Wander

Nice one, Matt! I was thinking of coming up with the same but haven’t got around to doing it yet. Have only been to just over 50 sites so far.

4. Christina

Great list! I need to count how many I am up to now (and catch up blogging about them!) I always try to get a few UNESCO sites every international trip I take.

Before my philosophy has been that I’ll visit if I’m there, but I haven’t sought them out. That may change now. LOL

5. Gonçalo

Nice list!

Next, you should put Portugal’s places on your to-see list :)

I would love to visit Portugal – one day!

6. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures

Wow I’m definitely impressed!

7. Turtle

Nice work! I’ve loved trying to tick places off the list because it means I’ve gone and discovered things I would never have found otherwise. It’s a really worthwhile project!

Thanks MIchael! And I just discovered that I’ve visited another one while researching a new story. LOL

8. Barbara

Very impressive list. I like the way you linked each one to your site and the UNESCO site as well. I will have to travel a lot more to catch up with you!

9. Monique

I’m nowhere near half of your list, but I realized I did visit quite a few!

The one I haven’t visited yet and that I’m most intrigued by is Petra. That place must be overwhelmingly beautiful when you see it live.

10. Sugar Beach

A very impressive list… I have only done around 10 but I was sad to see that St Lucia was not on there. The UNESCO World Heritage Site between the Pitons (volcanic plugs towering out of the water) is one of the most amazing sites I have ever seen. If you could add it that would be great!

I’ve never been to St. Lucia, but it’s on the list!

11. Michael

I’ve always wanted to create this list. Nicely done though. You’ve been all over the place!

12. Nam Onrit

My home town is one of UNESCO World Heritage sites in Thailand. Kamphaeng Phet is an associated ancient town of Sukhothai. When I decided to have a travel blog, ASEAN World Heritage have been invented.

I could not state the favourite place, every site is so impressive and have their character.

Hopefully, I will finish my journey visiting WHSs in Southeast Asia in a few years.

Yes, I need to spend a lot more time in SE Asia! Love it there

13. Anoma Mendis

You should visit Sri Lanka, Pearl of the Indian Ocean for discovery of Sinharaja Forest Reserve and Sigiriya the Rock Fortress also identified as UNESCO world heritage. Happy traveling !

14. Linda

How important are they to me? Well, I guess a lot because I live close to two of them, and for me they very much define this island on which I live. The Teide National park is a wonderland of volcanic shapes, and the city of La Laguna is full of Tenerife’s history and connections to the “outside world” You absolutely have to stop off to see them the next time you’re shuffling between the Americas and Europe!!!!

Looking at your list I was, actually, surprised at how many I’d seen. I guess I just never thought of making a list. But the fascinating thing was that there were ones on your list which are completely new to me “Frontiers of the Roman Empire”? Guessing it’s all in the name, but must look that one up!

15. Kerry (Goodtrippers)

Wow – that’s an inspiring list to get started on (and particularly impressed with your visit rate so far…). Some UNESCO sites are absolutely awe-inspiring but the problem is….everyone else thinks so too, meaning those visits tend to be shared, sometimes with crowds of people (and it does annoy me when tour operators do nothing to reign in their tourist clients who may be doing all the things they shouldn’t – standing on ancient walls, scaring the wildlife…..

Absolutely, the mission of UNESCO should be kept in mind – to preserve!

16. Jonny Blair

Hi Matt, I’ve never made a list (might do at some point) but I reckon now I’ve been to well over 100 of what they class as World Heritage Sites/UNESCO. The most recent ones were in Ethiopia and China. However I think that there are places not listed on the list that could be. Do you agree? Like the temples of Bagan in Myanmar, Deception Island in Antarctica and Lough Neagh in Northern Ireland. The list is always changing and also not all sites display the badge. I’m hoping to visit the ones in Jordan you’ve mentioned next. China has over 40 of these by the way! Safe travels. Jonny

17. Ivana

My personal favourite one is Prague and a small town Bardejov in Slovakia, together with wooden churches in Eastern part in Slovakia that are just absolutely amazing and worth to visit.

18. Aseema Sana

Nice post , I am in Dubai now in front of Khor Dubai (Dubai Creek in English). Really nice view from my yacht.

19. Travelwriticus

I don’t have a favourite one. As the regulations of the list demand for a unique detail in each site it is a good idea visiting them as many as one can. So we are able to learn a lot about different aspects of world cultural heritage.

20. John

You’ve mentioned Bath, its a wonderful and is very peaceful. The only problem I see is that you never mentioned Ireland north or south :(
    We have some great places here in Northern Ireland likes of giants causeway, carrick a rope bridge (its another must go to place), Mussenden Temple in castlerock . Then you have my home city the great wall of Derry and the wall morals in Belfast… there’s loads to see and do here in N.Ireland

If it’s not on the list it’s because I haven’t been there, not because I don’t want to visit. :)