A couple of weeks ago I announced my involvement in a remarkable online fundraising effort, Passports with Purpose. Passports with Purpose is a coordinated effort by hundreds of travel bloggers around the world to give back to areas of the world that need it the most. This year the goal is lofty but simple: raise $80,000 to build two libraries to help the children and communities of two villages in southern and eastern Zambia through Room to Read.
How do they do this? Well, it’s a ingenious fundraising idea actually. Every time a donor (ahem, you) gives $10, they receive one entry in a drawing for their prize of choice. Kindle Fires, hotel stays and even a tour of Costa Rica are up for grabs and you choose what you want to enter for.
This fundraiser ends on December 16, 2011 and with it your opportunity to not only help build two libraries in Zambia, but to snag some cool prizes for yourself. In order to prod you all a little bit, I want to highlight some of my favorite prizes available in the Passports with Purpose fundraiser. There are many more available, but these are my favorites.
I would be remiss if I didn’t list the sponsor of my contribution to Passports with Purpose, BedandBreakfast.com. This amazing resource for finding the best B&Bs around the world was generous enough to donate a $500 Gift Card for use at participating U.S. and Canadian properties.
In addition to the BedandBreakfast.com gift card, there are MANY other travel accommodation packages up for grabs, including:
- $1,000 towards a stay in a HomeAway - I’ve long admired this company and am even using them on an upcoming trip. Prize hosted by Nerd’s Eye View.
- Echo Valley Ranch & Spa Experience Package – Echo Valley Ranch and Spa is donating a three night stay at their luxury property in Clinton, British Columbia, Canada. Prize hosted by Writing Horseback.
- 4 Nights in a Suite at the Honua Kai Resort in Maui – Enjoy a four night stay in 1-bedroom ocean view suite at Honua Kai Resort & Spa, Maui’s newest luxury resort. Prize hosted by DeliciousBaby.
- Gura Gear Kiboko Photography Backpack – The Gura Gear Kiboko photography backpack is a lightweight and durable piece of gear every photographer should have. Prize hosted by WhatsNewInPhotography.com
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX9 16.2 MP - Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Lens and Full HD 1080/60i Video. Prize hosted on Amateur Traveler.
- 1 year Boingo Global Account - A 1-year Boingo Global account which gives you full access to the over 400,000 Boingo wifi access points around the world. Prize hosted by Everything-Everywhere.
- TravelPro Walkabout® LITE 4 – 29″ Expandable Spinner – High quality spinner with flexible wheels and a large main compartment with mesh pocket & removable suiter. Two front exterior pockets. Prize hosted by Travel Gear For Women.
Finally, there are several extraordinary vacation packages available for bid in the virtual raffle. One of the most intriguing is the 9-Day Costa Rica Tour hosted by G Adventures. G describes the adventure as a way to soak in the thermal hot springs of Arenal Volcano, search for the elusive quetzal bird in the cloud forest and watch the sun set over the Pacific. Sounds pretty perfect.
So you see, there are plenty of amazing choices available WHEN you give your contribution to Passports with Purpose. It’s hard to believe, but these are just a fraction of the total prizes.
So what are you waiting for?
Head over to Passports with Purpose and donate! Hurry though, the fundraiser ends on December 16, 2011.