Four Foods I Regret Eating

One of the most important aspects of any trip is the food. We all have to eat, and exploring a new culture through its culinary traditions is one of the best ways to learn about a new place. But let’s face it, not everything is good and without a doubt I have stumbled plenty of times trying to find something to eat while traveling. Through all of my culinary missteps though, four stand out as meals I really regret eating.

Loco Moco
Loco Moco

Loco Moco – In its basic form, the Hawaiian classic loco moco consists of white rice topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and brown gravy. The dish was created at a restaurant in Hilo at the request of some teens who didn’t have enough money for a full meal. Like many Hawaiian meals though, variations of this home food favorite probably existed long before it was officially named at the grill. The name itself really doesn’t mean anything and was dubbed loco moco on a lark. Today though it is one of the most popular meals in the islands.

I knew I had to try it at some point, and a late evening meal seemed the perfect opportunity. While not the most appetizing dish in appearance, I have to admit that it tasted pretty good. The problem wasn’t in the presentation or taste, it was the aftereffects. I was sick for a day after eating what is arguably one of the heaviest meals I’ve ever encountered. This definitely isn’t for those with a weak stomach or who haven’t been fasting for a few days.

Roasted Duck
Roasted Duck

Roasted Duck - We were walking through Melbourne’s Chinatown looking for a suitable spot for dinner when we passed a restaurant window featuring dozens of delicious, golden brown roasted meats. As soon as we saw the delicious meats glistening in the case we knew our decision had been made. Without hesitation I ordered the roasted duck and waited eagerly as the cook prepared my portion.

Even on the plate it looked delicious, but that’s where it stopped. I’ve had duck many times before and loved it, but not this time. The first clue were the bones, which wouldn’t have been a problem if the accompanying meat wasn’t so bad. The entire portion was fatty and disgusting. After a couple bites of navigating around small bones and huge globs of fat, I was done. I couldn’t finish it and we soon left. I’m sure roasted duck purists will tell me that I’m an idiot, that this is not an unusual experience, but I just didn’t like it.

Seafood – I’ve tried, I really have. Every time I see someone drool at the mere mention of lobster or smoked salmon, I get jealous. What is it about aquatic delicacies that gets everyone so excited? I have memories as a child trying seafood, and hating it. Most people grow out of it, but I did not. I try every few years, usually while traveling, just in case: white fish, lobster, crab, you name it, I’ve probably tried a nibble. I guess it’s genetic, but even the smallest morsel of seafood makes me nauseous. I hate everything about it, the taste, smell and texture. I envy all of you who can sit at a fine dining restaurant and not be worried about the inevitable fishy dishes, but it’s just not for me and I have so far regretted every attempt to force myself to like it.

Insides - Sausage Roll - Le Croissant de Halles AUD2.80 photo credit: avlxyz

Sausage Rolls - Found in England, Scotland, New Zealand, Australia and any destination where dubious British dining has taken root, the sausage roll is not the proudest of culinary traditions. The dish is simple, puff pastry is wrapped around a sausage-like meat composition and baked. I know I’m stepping on some toes here, but I really don’t think I like them, which is weird. It’s weird because based on the facts, I should love sausage rolls, they should be a favorite food. But my problem is the mystery meat at the middle of this popular take-away, convenience store delicacy. It’s not a sausage, not in the classic sense. It’s meat, that much is certain, but it’s more like a sausage mixture than a properly cased wurst of some sort. Maybe it’s a terminology issue, but it wasn’t what I was expecting and while I can eat them, I usually choose not to.

Are there any foods you regret eating on your travels?

Tags: ,

1. Anonymous

The venerable sausage roll is a bit of a mystery, and if it wasn’t for the fact that I’m British (and therefore genetically programmed to enjoy them) I’d probably give them a miss. Same goes for Scotch eggs.

I don’t mind a little fish but as far a sushi goes I’m entirely in your corner. I’m baffled as to why my friends and family make orgasmic noises whenever the subject of raw salmon comes up. Slimy, tasteless, nauseating stuff.

Still, takes all sorts :P

2. Andrea Cooper

Ever tried chitlins?? They actually have an Annual Chitlin Festival in my dad’s hometown and I insisted we go so I could try them. One of the cooks even warned me that he had eaten a chitlin 30 years ago and he was “still tasting it”. After I choked one down I am pretty sure he wasn’t exaggerating. http://www.mountaineagle.com/view/full_story/12474854/article-Arley%E2%80%99s-annual-Chittlin%E2%80%99-Supper-set-for-Friday

3. Nicole

I’ve got to agree with you about the sausage rolls. Even as an Aussie it’s on a very rare occasion (ie: I’m so hungry I’m about to eat my foot off) that I’ll eat a sausage roll!

I’m also pretty tentative about eating duck in Asia. I’ve had it once at a wedding and it was delicious but peking duck in Hong Kong which has been hanging in a window for hours… something about that just turns me off!

4. Jade Johnston

What about boiled egg…with embryo inside?

Jade Johnston | http://www.ouroyster.com/home

Well, I would never try balut in the first place. :)

• Helen

i love balut! Haven’t had them in ages though as I know live in Sydney. Try it. You might like it :)

5. Mica

My boyfriend ate some whale in Japan a few years ago and to this day he regrets it. (the worst part is that he said it was pretty delicious). Eating street meat is sometimes regrettable. Especially when your stomach gets mad at you after. I’m a sucker for anything in a pastry, unfortunately. And I admit, I can’t eat sushi but I am learning to love ceviche. Do you eat fried fish?

I don’t eat anything that has ever spent time in water, unless a cow drowned. :)

6. Michael

Seafood? Nnnoooo! You’re missing out!
    With duck, it can go wrong pretty easily. Beijing Duck is A+. Get it in China :)

I will never, ever eat it again. So nasty…

7. Andi

Oh God, where to start? Dog (by accident) giant snails (I love the small French ones, but giant….); andouillette, whale sperm. But these are few and far between and eating is one of the greatest treasures of traveling!

8. Fiona Leonard

In Australia there’s a chance that the sausage roll meat could be camel…

I really didn’t need to know that :)

9. Joe Sylvester

Aloha Matt,

No, I have not jumped in to defend the Loco Moco here in Kauai, Hawaii. It is still nasty to me, even after nearly 30 years of living here. Almost every establishment makes some form of this concoction which is definitely NOT Hawaiian food. True, it was created in Hawaii, but it is a combination of some of the worst American food over here. My Hawaiian friends do not like hearing their cultural lineage associated with this ‘haole’ creation. See you on #ttot this week.

I know, my apologies, I’ve made that faux pas before. I should have clarified that by Hawaiian, I meant having originated there, which it did, not of traditional Hawaiian cultural lineage.

10. Runaway Brit

I have only just stumbled upon this post but I had to comment because I’ve never met somebody who understands my total dislike of seafood before! Your comment “I don’t eat anything that has ever spent time in water, unless a cow drowned” is my new mantra! I HATE all fish and seafood and people just don’t get it! They ask me “but you eat tuna, right?” when I tell them. I always reply with “If it’s been in the sea, it’s not going in my mouth”.

Seafood looks, tastes and smells bad. How anybody can eat it is beyond me!

Worst things I’ve ever eaten: Duck’s tongue. And a doughnut I bought from a cake shop in Tokyo that had TUNA in it!!!!

I love sausage rolls though. But I’m British so that’s allowed :-)

Great post.

Thank you! It’s so nice to hear from someone else like me. :) As I wrote, I really wish I liked seafood, it seems to make people so happy. But I don’t and it’s just not going to happen. :)

• Hannah

hurray, people who feel the same way I do about fishy things! My in-laws are in a constant state of disbelief every time we go out to eat that I don’t eat it!

You’re not alone Hannah so take solace in that. :) I think this needs to be an international awareness movement of some sort. Thoughts? :)

11. Paige AllOvertheMap

Hilarious. (Though I’m sure some of those aftereffects were not so funny to you.)

So no “Feast of the Seven Fishes” for you, eh?

12. Andy

Haha good stuff here! I’m thinking you’d LOVE West Africa where the wonderful phrase ‘bushmeat’ is used to disguise the fact that it’s a rat you’re eating, in Ghana and elsewhere cat is a delicacy and pigs feet, offal and assorted inner bits are served on the street. Having said that the great food far outweighs the nasty stuff. Now China, that’s another story. I haven’t been yet but have been sent (and posted) a picture that doesn’t exactly tickle the tastebuds:

13. Jack

Fascinating & funny post Matt – I had no idea the humble and yummy sausage roll had an anti-fan club and as for Scotch eggs… you can’t have a picnic in Britain without including Scotch eggs. Considering the UK’s weather, maybe I should have stopped after ‘you can’t have a picnic in Britain…’

How are you with haggis?

The seafood and fish thing has to be psychological. It’s totally irrational to dismiss the lot; it’s like someone saying I don’t like Indian food and ignoring the fact that there are a diverse range of tastes and textures – but I’m sure you’ve heard that a zillion times before :)

It really isn’t psychological and I have tried SO MANY different kinds of seafood. I want to like it, I really do but it just isn’t going to happen. My partner is the same way